Mel Gebroe & Morris Hammer
The strongly held personal principles of life and business – integrity, work ethic, expertise – inspired the late Mel Gebroe and Morris Hammer to establish a unique commercial real estate investment brokerage firm in the mid-1970s. Today, these same tenets are being safeguarded and put into modern-day practice by a second, third and fourth generation of Gebroe-Hammer Associates professionals who continue to set new firm and industry benchmarks for sales volume, dollars and number of units sold.
- Gebroe-Hammer Associates marks its 45th Anniversary as the leading nationally ranked multi-family-focused investment brokerage firm representing private individuals, family offices, private equity funds and institutional investors.
- The year closes with a record-shattering 127 deals totaling $1.9B and 12,155 units – marking a 72% increase over 2018, when the firm was named the Northeast’s only “Top Multi-Family Influencer in the Nation” by Real Estate Forum Magazine. These milestones follow booming years in 2015, 2016 and 2017, which included one of the nation’s Top-20 Single-Asset Multi-Family Deals of the Year.
- Despite the “Great Recession,” the firm gains a stronger foothold as multi-family investments drive the commercial real estate recovery with a mix of traditionally structured deals and distressed debt, foreclosure and/or bankruptcy situations
- With a fortified presence throughout New Jersey and New York State, Gebroe-Hammer builds exponentially upon its entry into the Philadelphia MSA during the late 1990s and emerges as “the firm of choice” in this thriving submarket
- Gebroe-Hammer emerges as the dominant multi-family-investment brokerage firm specializing in suburban and urban high-rise, mid-rise and garden-apartment properties – its “bread and butter” – while also marketing mixed-use and free-standing office and retail properties
- Two young brokers – Ken Uranowitz, the current President, and the late Robert Ploshnick – who joined the firm at its inception are groomed as the next generation of management, eventually becoming Managing Directors
- The firm is founded by late industry icons Mel Gebroe and Morris Hammer with a specialized focus on New Jersey apartment building sales